Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rambling to Fort Mill and Baxter Village

by Violet Rebecca Jones



Front and Back of Historical Marker
Giving Background of Fort Mill, SC
    ( Click any photo to enlarge)




Small Town Charm

Chapter 3 of my visit to my friend in Rock Hill, SC takes me on a little excursion to Fort Mill, SC. Fort Mill is a small town  bordering Mecklenburg County, NC ( home of Charlotte).  Fort Mill, the home of Springs Industries, maker of home textiles, was founded in the late 1700's and is named for a grist mill and an early Catawba Indian Fort in the area.  There is a  quaintness about the town that for some reason has always appealed to me. I am not sure what it is, but I have always loved its friendly, small town charm.

Baxter Village

The town of Fort Mill has changed in many ways over the years, yet still remains the same in so many others. It has an excellent recreation center, a beautiful greenway owned by Springs Industries, and now has a wonderful little village that has been built on its outskirts called Baxter Village.  I did not know about Baxter Village until my friend suggested we go there for dinner. Baxter Village was not built when I lived in that area in the late 1990's, but I wish it had been. It is a charming village where homeowners can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. without ever leaving their neighborhood. While this may seem common for someone who has grown up in a city such as New York, for example, it is something that has gone by the wayside in the South over the years. We are used to driving everywhere for everything.



View of Baxter Village
The Fish Market Restaurant in Baxter Village

Wonderful Dining

My friend and I ate a wonderful seafood restaurant aptly named Fish Market, and I want to thank her again for treating me.  I had the Mountain Trout while my friend had the John Dory. I had never heard of John Dory, and neither had my friend. The waitress said it is a fish found in the waters of the English Channel, so that may explain why we had never heard of it.  My friend said it was delicious. I know my trout certainly was.


The Caboose Greeting Visitors

The Town of Fort Mill

The original town of Fort Mill itself has not changed much in the years since I lived in the area, except for the roads and new traffic patterns that confused me and caused me to get lost. The downtown remains much the same as I remember it. There are several antique shops that have been there for many years, and it was a comfort to see them still thriving. The old caboose that greets visitors to the town was a welcome site, as was the little  park that beckons one to enter, find a swing, and just "sit a while". It was good to visit this unique little town, and to see the green, green grass of "home" once again.




Time Stands Still at the Gateway to the Town of Fort Mil
Outdoor Dining Venue in Baxter Village


Just find a swing and enjoy the view of Fort Mill


View of Main Street, Fort Mill


Monuments in Park , Fort Mill


Copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones  


Downtown Gazebo in Fort Mill









No comments:

Post a Comment