Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Rambling Into the Past on Lake Summit at Tuxedo

by Violet Rebecca Jones




The entrance to the small lakeside community of Tuxedo.

Just north of Traveler's Rest, SC and near Flat Rock, NC there is a small hidden gem that many people don't know exists. I didn't know it myself until I just happened to look in that direction and noticed a slice of blue water while diving to Flat Rock, NC.  It is the small community of Tuxedo that surrounds a beautiful., relatively small lake, Lake Summit.  


Looking over the lake from the railing along the shore.


The lake is accessed by a narrow, winding road that gave me a few scary moments as I rounded a curve and knew that if another car were meeting me, we would never be able to pass one another. Since I was closest to the lake, I figured I would be the unlucky one. My fears were probably unfounded as it was obvious that people do travel on this road. There were many small lake houses along the shore and more substantial homes built on the hillsides. 


These piers made me wish I had a fishing rod and reel.

This setting reminded me of a time gone by when life was simple and a summer spent at the lake was  truly a time to  relax, swim, and fish from the deck of one's cottage. The lake houses along the shore were actually built into the water on stilts, and their decks extended out into the lake. Most of them had boathouses built beneath the cottages themselves giving the entire area  a nostalgic atmosphere that made one imagine girls in skirted swimsuits and men in knickers. 


One of the larger lake houses.


Many of the cottages were old, but most had been remodeled and refurbished to bring them up-to-date and provide the comforts of modern living. However, they still retained that quaint, cozy feel that made me want to go in, sit down, and enjoy the sound of the water lapping at the pilings below.
View of the smaller lake cottages that are built above boat houses.

Later, I researched this area and found that there was once a +Zirconia mine in the area in the very early years of the twentieth century. Zirconia was used in the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, and I was fascinated to learn that +Thomas Edison spent time in the area because of the mineral resources.  http://www.historichendersonville.org/history_flat_rock.htm


Beautiful view of Lake Summit

The lake is a beautiful place to get away from the hustle of world around us. Even the brief drive around the lake gave me a sense of calm that made me want to stay.  Perhaps I will save my money and rent one of those little cottages someday. 


Beautiful view of the lake and the mountains beyond.



text and pictures copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones


1 comment:

  1. I welcome all comments, suggestions, questions, etc. Please post and share.

    ReplyDelete