Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fields of Gold

by Violet Rebecca Jones

While driving  the other day, I passed field after field of beautiful yellow flowers. I had no idea what these flowers were because the stems simply looked like weeds. When I stopped, there was an unusual scent in the air. I am not sure if the scent came from the flowers, or from something else, but I have never smelled it before. It was not exactly a "pleasant" scent (certainly not what I would want on a patio), but neither was it exactly "unpleasant". It was simply different in a strange sort of way.

When I reached my destination, I asked if anyone knew what the fields of flowers were, and was told they were Canola plants. Apparently, the blooms become a seed which is then harvested to make Canola Oil. I had no idea! Now each time I buy a bottle of Canola Oil, I will think of these fields of gold.  PS: You can tell I am a country girl when I get excited learning about a new field crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment