Sunday, April 13, 2014

Lazy Southern Girl

by Violet Rebecca Jones

I have spent the entire day doing absolutely nothing except surfing the net, reading, and listening to the TV in the background. I know that is a terrible thing to admit, especially since I was brought up to think that a lazy Southern girl is the worst kind. My grandmother did not believe anyone should sit still for more than a half hour, and would definitely find something for you to do if she caught you not being productive. Sorry, Grandma, but today I have been that lazy Southern girl.

I suppose I could give some valid excuses. I had some painful medical procedures done a couple of days ago, I didn't sleep well last night, I am tired, etc.  I don't think Grandma would accept any of them, so I have to somehow redeem myself by analyzing my activities to see if anything worthwhile has come out of them.

First of all, surfing the net can be just for enjoyment, but it can also be educational and even a financially productive activity. Lets look at the financial aspect first. I found some terrific coupons that I intend to use this very week, and I will probably save at least five dollars by doing so. Not a lot of money, but five dollars is something, right? It doesn't matter that I probably would not buy these products if not for the coupons. The idea is that I will save money. Remember, I am trying to redeem myself here. 

Second, I learned that there is a very nice lake I had not heard of, and an outdoor sportsman center I had also not heard of, within a fifty-mile radius of where I live. I also learned that a newspaper in +Abbeville, SC was shut down following the +Civil War during the occupation by Union Troops because of the editor's anti-union sentiments.  http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn93067670/1865-08-10/ed-1/seq-1/#   Now, I will probably never visit the outdoor sportsman's center because it is mainly for horse owners, and I don't own a horse. I may visit the lake, but I probably won't because it requires a hike-in over rough terrain to reach it, and I have a very bad knee. I am not sure how the knowledge that a newspaper was shut down after the Civil War because they exercised their right to free speech is going to serve me now, 150 years later, but it is interesting to know, and it does help me understand a lot of the tension that must have been present in the South following the Civil War. So, educationally, my lazy day has taught me something, if not a lot.

Third, I really did have a very painful medical procedure this past week. However, I know my grandma would not have accepted this excuse.  She was tough, and birthed six children without the benefit of any pain meds, worked a multi-acre garden with only a hoe while dealing with severe scoliosis of the spine, and survived extreme poverty without ever giving up. I guess I must think of something else to redeem myself. 

Now, it is Sunday, and in the Bible Belt of the South, Sunday is a day of rest. My grandma would accept this excuse for me being lazy today since she would not even allow me to sew or knit on Sunday as I was growing up. In her eyes it was work, maybe because as she was growing up, both of these were necessities for living. So, Grandma, I have rested today rather then just being lazy.

Now, wonder what she would think of me writing for my blog on Sunday????

Copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones

1 comment:

  1. I welcome all comments, suggestions, questions, etc. Please post and share.

    ReplyDelete