Friday, April 11, 2014

OJ's Diner: A Hidden Gem in the Upstate Of South Carolina

by Violet Rebecca Jones

Whenever I am rambling in the South, I keep my eyes open for good places to grab a bite to eat, and since my budget is a little on the low side, a cheap and good place to eat is even better. It seems that the best places are usually little hole-in-the-wall places that few people have heard of but are worthy of a spot on the +Food Network Channel.

Today, I found one of those  places where I least expected it. On my way back from a doctor's visit, I began to get a little hungry, but I didn't have much cash and didn't want to resort to a fast-food burger and fries . Suddenly, there is a sign for O.J's Diner. The parking lot was full ( always a good sign), so I stopped, and warily went in. The place looked nice, so I figured it must be expensive. Lo and behold, the sign said,  "Meat and Two with drink for $6.99". Can't beat that, and for those over 55, there was even a 10% discount! "Well", I thought, " I will try this. Even if the food isn't great, at least I can afford it."

Boy, was I in for a surprise.  The restaurant is set up cafeteria style with a server bringing drinks to the table, so all the food is visible. I like that.  Seeing the actual food is always better than looking at a picture on a menu and trying to determine if it will be good.  I chose the Baby Back Ribs, Broccoli Casserole, Okra and Tomatoes, with a corn muffin and ice tea. The ribs were heavenly. Braised in a delicious homemade barbecue sauce, the meat literally fell from the bone.  The Broccoli Casserole was a broccoli and rice combination that was blended perfectly, and the tomatoes/okra dish was perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of salt...not too much.  I seldom eat that much for lunch, and this felt like a evening dinner out, but it was wonderful. 

O.J's Diner is only open Monday-Friday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but it almost worth taking a day off from work to try it out. Dinner is certainly an option even for those who work, and I can't imagine it not being as good as lunch. 

O.J's Diner is located on Highway 123, Calhoun Memorial Highway, in Easley, SC.




Copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones

1 comment:

  1. I welcome all comments, suggestions, questions, etc. Please post and share.

    ReplyDelete