Friday, April 4, 2014

Rambling for Books Southern Style

by Violet Rebecca Jones


My Rambling Mind

My mind is doing most of  the rambling today. I spent several hours this afternoon just sitting in a coffee shop/bookstore watching people and reading magazines and books.  I simply did not want to go home to my empty house to watch TV with myself, or even to simply sit alone and read. What I needed was the presence of people and the comfort of books. Apparently, there were many like-minded souls this day. It was very crowded in the store to be a weekday afternoon. I was a little amazed that so many people would actually have free time at this time of day, but apparently they did.

The Soothing Power of Books

There is something about  a bookstore that calms me, invigorates me, and gives me hope.Taking time to actually look at the words on a page, feel the smoothness of the pages, and smell the scent of the freshly bound paper helps slow down the frantic, gyrating whirl of our lives.  I suppose this is one reason I have not been one to gravitate so quickly to an e-reader.  I have books downloaded from the cyber world, but somehow they do not give me the satisfaction that I receive from turning a page, holding the complete lives of the characters in my hand, and yes, dog-earing pages when I choose.

The Comforting Nostalgia of Books

Reading a slick-paged magazine takes me back to my teenage years when my mother surprised me with a subscription to Seventeen Magazine.  I looked forward to its arrival every month and would spend hours gazing at its array of the newest fashions, make-up, hairstyles, and advice for the young girl seeking adulthood.  The pages would be tattered by the end of the month, and I could almost tell you every single word in its pages.  Opening a new magazine holds the same fascination for me today, but I honestly believe a part of it is rooted in these pleasant early memories that also bring back the love and understanding of a mother who wanted her young daughter to be happy.

What I Found

I feel invigorated perusing books. To enter a bookstore, and know that there are literally thousands of new ideas just awaiting me to discover and contemplate fills me with excitement. I am like a child in a candy store, running from each new display to the next before I can actually settle on one or two to even examine more closely. What I found are some new treasures to add to my list of  MUST READS. Now all I need is a bigger bookcase.

My #1 Must Read

The Light Between Oceans: A Novel  by M.L Stedman

The plot of this book speaks to a part of me that I sometimes try to deny. I was never blessed with               children, but the yearning for them has always been there somewhere within my soul. It is something I have tried to suppress, simply because the pain is sometimes too great. But sometimes we need to confront those feelings that are painful, hold them in our hands until the sunshine dries their tears.

This story promises  to bring into question some very important moral dilemmas  as well. How many of us would do the "right thing" even when it breaks our hearts? Is there ever a time when the "right thing" is the "wrong thing" to do? There are many thought provoking issues that this book seems to bring to the surface, and any book club would enjoy the depth of discussion possible.

 It is # 1 on my list of MUST READS. If you read it, let please comment to let me know what you think.
For a more in-depth look, check it out at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451681755/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=1RSNRXF1C6SECDV0J0HN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1401488422&pf_rd_i=283155

Copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones

1 comment:

  1. I welcome all comments, questions, and suggestions. Please share.

    ReplyDelete