Friday, May 30, 2014

Rambling to Tennessee: Part 1, The Island

by Violet Rebecca Jones



Click any picture to enlarge
As you probably know by now, I love the mountains, and anytime I get a chance to go there, I gas up the car and hit the road. This particular mountain rambling took me into Tennessee and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. It had been a while since I was last there, so even though it's only a quick trip for me, it was filled with new sights.







    The Island, Pigeon Forge




The first place that I explored was the new shopping and restaurant area called The Island. While this is not really a true island, there is a creek that separates it from the "main drag" area of Pigeon Forge, and it does feel separated from the more antiquated main street.  Much of this area is still under construction, but even  the small portion that is complete is worth a visit. When finished, it will be huge.







Restaurants


Poynor's Pommes Frites
There are many interesting shops, arcades, and restaurants in this area which gave everyone something to do. I only ate some gourmet french fries, but they were awesome. I picked them up at Poynor's Pommes Frites, a German speciality food shop. I ordered them with both a malt vinegar dip and a rosemary/roasted garlic dip that was incredible. I actually went back in for a second container of the rosemary/garlic dip. The fries were served in a cone held in a wire stand...sorry, but I ate them before I remembered to snap a picture...and even though I ordered a small order, the serving was huge.  







The menu listed several items that I wanted to try, but I simply could not hold anything more after the fries. One listing got my attention, spaghetti ice. I have never heard of this, and I want to someday go back to see what this is.






 


Timberwood Grill
There were several other restaurants in the area that looked as if they would have good food. One was The Timberwood Grill, which was packed even in the middle of the day.









Another restaurant that had just opened for business is  Dick's Last Resort. I have heard of  this chain of restaurants, and although I have not eaten at one, I have heard that the outrageous, sarcastic servers make it a truly unique dining experience.


Dick's Last Resort




       
               A new restaurant, scheduled to 
               open this summer, is
               Paula Deen's Family Kitchen.

Dick Leaving the Last Resort


Entertainment

One of the most impressive features of The Island is the 200 ft. high Smokey Mountain Skywheel. While I did not ride this huge ferris wheel because I was on a tight budget ( the price is $12 for three rotations), I am sure it would provide some spectacular views of the surrounding area. Driving back that night from Gatlinburg, I could see the Skywheel from a distance with its constantly changing multi-colored neon lights which truly made The Island seem like a fantasy land. Right beside the Skywheel is a large "cage" where children can bungee jump attached to two bungee cords and standing on a portable trampoline. There were several very young children who were having a ball. The attendant never left their side, so they were well supervised. It made me wish I were a kid again. Although I didn't get a picture, another fun place was a mirror maze. People had to find their way through a maze of mirrors that made the area look as though it were a huge palace although in reality, it was  probably less than 300 square feet. I didn't go through the maze, but they provided a viewing area where visitors could surreptitiously  watch  the participants as they stumbled into mirrors, walls, etc. trying to find their way out of the maze.

Children's Bungee Jump














The neon lights on the Skywheel are constantly changing colors at night.









             



There are also numerous "kiddie" rides
including this charming carousel.


























Food Beyond The Island

The Island is not the only place to find good food in Pigeon Forge. Just outside The Island is a great 50's style diner called Happy Days Diner.  It is a very clean, short order type restaurant with great nostalgically themed decor reminiscent  of the 1950's. I ordered a classic cheeseburger and fries that were delicious. Rock and Roll hits of the 50's played in the background, and several of the waitresses would dance as they brought out the plates. It was a light-hearted, fun place to grab a quick lunch.




















I had supper ( southern for dinner) that night at a great pizza place called Big Daddy's Wood Fired Pizza. There were at least three locations of Big Daddy's ( Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg), but I ate at the one in Pigeon Forge. There is a game arcade for children, and a bar for adults, neither of which were open since I arrived only a few minutes before closing. The pizza is perhaps the best I have ever had. I ordered the Carnivore which contained several types of meat ( I am not vegan, as you can tell, although there were vegan varieties on the menu), and the wood smoked crust was crisp and savory with just a hint of charring without a burned taste...just enough for flavor. I didn't get a picture of the outside of the restaurant, but I did remember to click a picture of a tasty pizza slice. 




In addition to Pigeon Forge, I also traveled through the Ware Valley to Gatlinburg. I will tell you all about that in Rambling to Tennessee , Parts 2 - 4. 

Copyright 2014 by Violet Rebecca Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment