Monday, June 2, 2014

Rambling to Tennessee: Part 2, Valley Wood Carving

by Violet Rebecca Jones

I left the Pigeon Forge area of Tennessee and rambled toward Gatlinburg by way of Wears Valley, TN.  I had never visited this area before and was astounded by its incredible beauty. Unfortunately, I did not have time to stop at any of the stores, restaurants, and other places  that beckoned to me, but it is definitely on my agenda for a future trip.




The Valley



Wears Valley is beautiful with a sense of calm and peace that coaxes one into a state of relaxation. Away from the hustle and bustle of the commercialized venues of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, the few establishments in the area seem to have a laid back atmosphere that is hard to resist.




Wood Carving Art

While rambling, I happened upon a wonderful place called Captn Daves Little River Artistry.  It was closed, but the beautiful wood carvings were in the yard, so I was able to click some pictures. I can just imagine what beauties were inside the buildings. What was so interesting was the whimsical nature of the carvings. Some had a comic element, while others took on an aura of fantasy such as the mermaid and the demon above the carved hands. 

















This was just a small area of Wears Valley. There was also a museum of  Smokey Mountain Life that I wanted to see, but it was closed. Beyond this area of the valley, I traveled on toward Gatlinburg and witnessed some of the most beautiful scenery and mountain streams that I have ever seen. They will be in Rambling to Tennessee: Part 3


Copyright text and pictures 2014 by Violet Rebecca Jones 





No comments:

Post a Comment