Sunday, May 4, 2014

Southern Mountains Ghost Town for Sale


by Violet Rebecca Jones




As you may have realized by now, I love things that are old and unique. History fascinates me, and I love discovering places that remind me of  the past. While rambling in the mountain regions of northern South Carolina and southern North Carolina, I happened upon a place that seems to be saturated with history. It apparently is an abandoned ghost town that I had never heard of before, and it is for sale! The little town is called Horse Shoe Gap Village, NC and while there is an unincorporated small community nearby whose sign says Horse Shoe, NC, this little village seems to be much older. It reminds one of an old western ghost town, but there are still electric lights in one or two of the buildings, which seems incongruent with the rest of the town.  There are approximately ten buildings that are built along a winding dirt road just off the main highway that passes in front of this little abandoned hamlet. 

  



The place beckons one to stop and look around, but since no one was there, I was a bit reluctant to wander by myself. One of the most unique things is the antiquated tractor placed prominently on display in the center of the town. I am sure it no longer runs, but it pulls one back to an earlier time, and for some reason, I loved it. I desperately wanted to go into the General Store, which looks as if it might still hold some ancient goods, but it was closed and locked. The modern plastic chair on the porch indicates that someone has recently been there, but they were nowhere to be found on this day. There was also a relatively new motorcycle under the shed at one building that has electric lights on each side of the door, but again, no one was present, so I moved on. I wonder what price they are asking for this little town. 

PS:  I have tried to research this little village, but I have not been able to find any information on it. If anyone knows about this place, I would love to hear from you.  










No comments:

Post a Comment