Monday, March 17, 2014

What Does the Southern Woman Think About on a Rainy Day?

by Violet Rebecca Jones


Well, everyone, today was St. Paddy's Day, and my Irish blood has been running green...with envy that is. I am envious of the beautiful sunshine that is in the Florida Keys, Miami, and ...dare I say...California! Spring is due to arrive in a few days, but right now a fire is burning in the fireplace, and my logs have run out. Today's high was in the thirties with a cold rain. Tomorrow is not supposed to be any better.

What is going on? This is supposed to be  glorious, warm South Carolina, but it feels so much colder. March winds still blow,  and even the daffodils are looking a little droopy. We did have a few days of warmth that tricked them into trying to bloom, but it was a devilish trick, and the poor things are barely alive. The Bradford Pear trees are in full bloom, but with the cold rain, they only make me think of snow.

Normally, I would love the cold weather, but as I said, my logs have run out, and I hate to buy another load of firewood in mid-March. I am afraid I have not found my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, so using money on wood seems like I am "literally" burning it. Oh well, the fire  has kept me warm. What more can I ask for?

A warm fire, a good book, some corned beef  with cabbage, and I am good for the night. My Irish ancestors would be proud.

Copyright 2014 Violet Rebecca Jones